The NDIS is the National Disability Insurance Scheme which is reforming the way the disability services are funded and delivered to those who are disabled. The scheme was launched in July 2013 in four locations. The dull rollout commenced in July 2016 and will be completed by 2020 across Australia.
The NDIS works like insurance, similar to Medicare. This allows the cost of disability to be funded by the community, sharing the cost of providing disability benefits to those needing disability support.
Each person’s eligibility is assessed according to their individual needs.
Eligibility for the NDIS depends on whether you meet the requirements for disability or early intervention support, your location and age.
What is the NDIA?
It is the National Disability Insurance Agency whose role is to implement the NDIS
What are the benefits of the NDIS?
- A much better and fairer funding system that has replaced the previous state funding system
- You can have a choice and control as to how, when and where you receive support
- It offers long term funding which will allow your support to change over time and as your need changes.
- You will receive assistance to make informal choices.
- Safeguards to support you in making choices and early intervention to minimise the impacts and avoid a crisis point.
- Information about disability and services available to you including resources and government programs and the opportunity to participate in your community.
Management of NDIS Funding you receive
- You can manage the funding yourself
- Appoint a plan “Nominee”
- A registered plan management provider
Benefits of NDIS Cover
The NDIS cover will fund reasonable and necessary support for people with a disability.
- The opportunity to pursue their goals, objectives and aspirations
- It insures those with a disability have independence
- Increases social and economic participation and being able to actively take part in a community.
- Support can include the following.
- Social participation
- Independent living arrangements
- Health and wellbeing.
Ensure that you use a service provider and that they are accredited. Ask for references from those who have used their services.